MANDRILL - News

This Space is primary for the Foreign People : Talk here with us in English cause "One Nation Under a Groove..." :o)
Funkygirl
Ms Admynamite

MANDRILL - News

Messagepar Funkygirl » 13/01/05 07:00

LISTEN TO : Listen to a special Live Mandrill broadcast via Soul-Patrol.Net Radio, featuring the songs: Concert From the 2002 Montreux Jazz Festival, featuring the songs: Cohelo, Outta Da Bush, Mandrill, Hang Loose, Mango Meat, Git It All, Fencewalk, Rollin On.....

Hi, this is Bob Davis and I wanted to take this moment in time and space to let you know about some important news with respect to one of Soul-Patrol's biggest supporters, the legendary Funk/R&B/Jazz/Latin/Rock artists known as MANDRILL.

**MANDRILL LIVE AT MONTREUX 2002: An outstanding DC/DVD release from the legendary band Mandrill ("tthe Afrocentric FUNK BOMB"). It's available from the Mandrill website at: www.mandrillis.com
So take a visit there and check it out :)

**1/13/2005 CHAT ONLINE WITH MANDRILL: On Thursday January 13th at 10pm est/7pm pst MANDRILL (Dr Ricardo Wilson, Lou Wilson and Neftali Santiago) will be our guests here online in the Soul-Patrol Chat Room ( http://www.soul-patrol.com/chat ). They will take your questions about the band's music, history, impact and social conciousness. They have also allowed us to play their music online in the chat room for your listening pleasure while the discussion is taking place.

--Bob Davis

MANDRILL LIVE @ 2002 MONTREUX JAZZ FESTIVAL CD/DVD PACKAGE...

Wilson Bros. Records is proud to present the new MANDRILL DVD and CD LIVE AT THE MONTREUX JAZZ FESTIVAL 2002, featuring a 90-minute concert recorded at the prestigious Stravinsky Hall in Switzerland that both old and new fans are sure to enjoy.

The CD is the very first live album released by the legendary Funk/R&B/Latin/Jazz/Rock sensation and captures the raw magic MANDRILL is known for. It contains 10 electrifying tracks, unmatched in power and versatility, including classics like "Mango Meat," "House of Wood," "Peace and Love" and "Fencewalk."

"MANDRILL knocked me out the box, just a complete funk ambush; they turned my whole world around. As far as funk bands go in a live setting, there is MANDRILL, and then there's everybody else." (Robert Kowal-What Da Funk Newsletter)

The 2-1/2 hour DVD includes interviews, behind the scenes footage, a photo gallery and bonus musical surprises on what is certain to become a collector's item.

The group also highlights the plight of its namesake, the mandrill (west African baboon), which has been classified as an endangered species.

A limited "deluxe edition" offers the DVD and CD together in one package for a discounted price. This special, which includes an autographed letter of authenticity, is available on a first come, first served basis while supplies last. Don't wait, don't hesitate-- MANDRILL LIVE AT MONTREUX 2002 is a great gift! No doubt the DRILL fans will spread the word and get the Funk to the Folk.

Also, listen for MANDRILL's signature sound on two Grammy-nominated albums: Brandy's latest single "Talk About Our Love" featuring and produced by Kanye West from her Afrodisiac album and Kanye West's "Two Words" with Mos Def from Kanye's College Dropout album. Other samples include Floetry's "Have Faith," Kindred's "If I," and Nas' "Lost Tapes."

And-- don't miss the Sirius Satellite Radio MANDRILL interview scheduled for January 18, 2005 and their documentary coming soon to XM Satellite Radio entitled "Git It All."

You can read about the life and times of MANDRILL in the new book by Jim McCarthy and Ron Sansoe called Voices of Latin Rock: The People And Events That Created This Sound (published by the Hal Leonard Corporation with foreword by Carlos Santana) at your local bookseller now!

MANDRILL deeply appreciates the strong fan support they have received over the last three decades. They are currently in the studio recording their seventeenth album, due to drop Summer 2005 that will truly be a treat for the ever-growing MANDRILL family.
For more information about MANDRILL, upcoming appearances, products and more, check out www.mandrillis.com or call 1-877-777-8998.

Mandrill: Official Biography

What do rap and hip-hop artists BRANDY, KANYE WEST, FLOETRY, WYCLEF JEAN, NAS, DMX, ICE CUBE, PUBLIC ENEMY, BLACK-EYED PEAS, and CYPRESS HILL have in common? They are just a few of the many artists who have sampled the legendary Funk/R&B/Jazz/Latin/Rock sensation MANDRILL . . . a sunburst of musical energy that defies category. Currently, you can hear their signature sound on two Grammy nominated albums: Brandy's latest single "Talk About Our Love" featuring and produced by Kanye West from her Afrodisiac album and Kanye West's "Two Words" with Mos Def from Kanye's College Dropout album. Other samples include Floetry's "Have Faith," Kindred's "If I," and Nas' "Lost Tapes."

MANDRILL has just completed the CD and DVD project MANDRILL LIVE AT MONTREUX 2002 on Wilson Bros. Records. The state-of-the art DVD includes interviews, behind the scenes footage and a photo gallery that both old and new fans will enjoy in addition to the 90-minute concert recorded in Switzerland at the prestigious Montreux Jazz Festival in Stravinsky Hall. Plus, viewers are treated to bonus musical surprises on what is sure to become a collector's item. The concert CD is one of MANDRILL's finest albums. Both the CD and DVD are available on the website at www.mandrillis.com.

Sirius Satellite Radio presents a MANDRILL interview and XM Satellite Radio airs a MANDRILL documentary entitled Git It All in early 2005. You can also read about the life and times of MANDRILL in the new book by Jim McCarthy and Ron Sansoe called Voices of Latin Rock: The People And Events That Created This Sound (foreword by Carlos Santana) published by the Hal Leonard Corporation.

In 2002, MANDRILL created an eclectic film score for the feature film Civil Brand, a Lions Gate Entertainment (Monster's Ball, Fahrenheit 9/11) production. Civil Brand is the riveting story of young Black women fighting abuse and exploitation in the private prison system and features platinum-selling rappers Mos Def, Da Brat and MC Lyte. MANDRILL's hit "Sunshine" from the compilation CD SUNSHINE: LOVE SONGS is featured in the movie. The Civil Brand score stands along with MANDRILL's movie soundtracks for The Greatest (Columbia Pictures biopic of Muhammad Ali) and Paramount Pictures cult classic The Warriors.

Hailing from the Bedford-Stuyvesant district of Brooklyn, New York, this group is one of the great musical treasures. MANDRILL, formed by the Panamanian Wilson Brothers (Lou, Ricardo, Carlos & Wilfredo), is a family crew of astonishing multi-instrumentalists whose background is a melting pot of culture and training, blended with the sound and heart of urban America. With sixteen albums (that include the smash hits "Fencewalk," "Git It All," "Hang Loose," "Polk Street Carnival," "Ape Is High," "House of Wood," etc.) and thirty years of thrilling audiences all over the world to their credit, MANDRILL has shared the stage with the likes of Duke Ellington, Miles Davis and Herbie Hancock; James Brown, Patti LaBelle, David Bowie, Earth, Wind & Fire; Tito Puente and The Fania All Stars; The Eagles, Deep Purple, Mott The Hoople and Jim Croce.

Today, the Wilson Brothers remain the driving force behind MANDRILL, strongly supported by long-time band member Neftali Santiago and a new generation of players. Still touring the U.S. and internationally, MANDRILL recently rocked San Francisco's Great American Music Hall and opened the Grand Performances 2004 summer series on the beautiful California Plaza in downtown Los Angeles. In May, the group completed highly successful engagements in Philadelphia and Washington, D.C. Of particular note, the D.C. event celebrates musical history when the group headlined the bill that packed RFK Stadium beyond capacity as 80,000 people came to see MANDRILL, along with Parliament Funkadelic, Rare Earth and the Jimmy Castor Bunch in 1973, breaking the previously long-held attendance record set by the Rolling Stones.

Always socially conscious, the group is actively involved in a campaign that focuses on the plight of its namesake, the mandrill (West African baboon), which has been classified as an endangered species.

MANDRILL deeply appreciates the strong fan support they have received over the last three decades. They are currently in the studio recording their seventeenth album, due to drop Summer 2005, that will truly be a treat for the ever-growing MANDRILL family.

For more information about MANDRILL, upcoming appearances, products and more, check out www.mandrillis.com or call 1-877-777-8998

Mandrill Comes To The Soul-Patrol Chat Room On 1/13/05 @ 10pm pst/7pm pst

Mandrill legends: Dr. Ric Wilson, Lou Wilson and Neftali Santiago will be LIVE ONLINE in the Soul-Patrol Chat Room on 1/13/2005 at 10pm/7pm pst to discuss their brilliant career, their philosophies on music, society, etc and of course their....

BRAND NEW LIVE CD/DVD:
MANDRILL LIVE @ 2002 MONTREAUX JAZZ FESTIVAL

(yes we will be playing the CD LIVE in the chat room) SPREAD THE WORD ALL ARE WELCOME ON 1/13/05 @ 10pm est/7pm pst Sign into the chat room here: http://www.soul-patrol.com/chat

If you can't make it to the chat session, feel free to submit your questions via email to me....

--Bob Davis

Link to buy the Dvd :arrow: http://cdbaby.com/cd/mandrilldvd/from/funkygirl

Link to buy the Audio version :arrow: http://cdbaby.com/cd/mandrill2/from/funkygirl
Funkygirl ==> I'm a White Free Passionated Funkateer and I'm Proud !

Funkhome - The Funk & Groovy musics Forum
"Funkhome-Le forum de référence, souvent copié, jamais égalé" :cool: Jam & Lewis

Funkygirl
Ms Admynamite

Messagepar Funkygirl » 22/08/05 14:01

Reports from Soul Patrol's members for the DC's concert (Saturday 20/08/2005)

:arrow: "Funky Music fans, I guess I am now "the cat". Last night I met the cat who knows the cat which of course makes me "the cat"! I've been talking on the phone and in email to Soul-Patrol founder Bob Davis for several years. Last night at the Mandrill show at Carter Barron Amphi-Theater in DC I finally met the cat. We had a sho-nuff funky good time in DC last night! And when I say he knows the cat, this is no joke. Bob knows everybody and everybody loves Bob (even more than Raymond). When it comes to Mandrill, Bob is like the "5th Beatle". Mandrill was the first Soul-Patrol sponsor and hanging backstage with Bob I was able to meet and greet the entire Mandrill family.

I go way back (like a car seat) with Mandrill. I first saw them at a show at the University of MD around 1972. this classic show featured Mandrill along with EWF, the Persuasions and Stevie Wonder. They don't make 'em like that no more. I also saw them at the original DUFF festival in DC in 1973 along with Funkadelic, Jimmy Caster and Rare Earth. Last year at DUFF III they were again in DC with Rare Earth and this time Original P. I waxed about all of those shows last night with Sweet Lou Wilson, Carlos Wilson and Wolf Wilson. 3 of the 4 Mandrill Wilson Brothers. I also met Dr Ricardo Wilson but didn't get a chance to really "talk smack" with him. The funny thing about meeting Lou was that he had read my review of the DUFF III show in the Soul-Patrol Digest and was looking forward to meeting me. He admires my writing style and was a little surprised about how I went on and on about the sound and acoustics at DUFF III.

The atmosphere backstage was incredible. I have been going to Carter Barron since my bpy JJEllison3 was an usher back in the 70's. I saw Betty Davis, James Brown and EWF at Carter Barron but this was the first time I made it backstage. It's like another world back there.
A whole nother thang. the Mandrill family are so down to earth. It was truly like talking to family.

Sweet Lou's son is a rapper. He opened the show around 7:30. His strength is spoken word but this was a funk crowd and he didn't get a whole lot of respect. He will do much better at college campises such as Howard University's Cramton Auditorium. All the way from Annapolis MD, the Clones of Funk came on next. They are sanctioned by George Clinton and they play 99% Pfunk classics. Everything from Up For the Downstroke to the best version of Cosmic Slop I have heard in years (including Pfunk)! The band is very tight and the crowd went crazy.

Mandrill came on next and performed a similar show to last years DUFF III show at Constitution Hall. Hits like Fencewalk and Get it All sent the crowd into a madd frenzy. But it was the encore tune "Ape is High" that sent me off and caused one audience member to fall out. Negroes lost their minds! They didn't do Ape is High in DC and it's not on the new DVD "Live in Montreux" but I asked them to play it before the show and Wofl looked over at me (best seat in the house on the stage) and smiled when they came back on with this classic from the "Mandrill Is" LP.

Dr G

Edit : I revised it to add the new song "Who got da Funk"....best new Mandrill song in years........
"

:arrow: " since I find it more and more difficult to write objectivly about certain artists (ex: Mandrill, Dells, etc) it's great for someone like "Dr. G" to give us a review like this!!

Also, I'll be posting the new Mandrill song ("Mandrill Got the Funk ") up on the Soul-Patrol website soon...

--------------------
Bob Davis
"

"Funkhome-Le forum de référence, souvent copié, jamais égalé" :cool: Jam & Lewis

Funkygirl
Ms Admynamite

Messagepar Funkygirl » 27/12/05 08:21

A Special offer currently on the Mandrill's website... :cool:

:arrow: http://www.mandrillis.com/

Pari
LP's

Messagepar Pari » 29/12/05 14:48

The way it looks at the moment, we will re-schedule the European tour of Mandrill for August 2006. Be sure that Paris will be included. :smile:
Right in the groove with www.soulpower.info

Retourner vers « English Corner »